Re: Pledge To Killfile Andrew Suffield

On 8/9/05, Manoj Srivastava va, manoj <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>         I fail to follow this. Ultimately, killfiling is a personal
>  decision. If a bunch of people are all of one mind over kill filing
>  someone, how does it affect the reputation of rational discourse?
>  Since when have I been required to listen to all the blather on the
>  mailing list lest I lose any hope of being considered rational? Who
>  made that rule? Can I make up a similarly silly rule about reading
>  all possible Spam or else one is not pursuing rationale discourse?
>  What is the substantive difference?

It's one thing to say "the guy's an idiot, I ignore his mails, I
advise you do likewise."  It's another to say "the guy's a blight on
the project, I think he'll go away if enough of us ignore him, who
will pledge with me to killfile him and keep it that way?"  I can't
say which is closer to the discussion on debian-private, but I think
the latter is a great deal tackier than the former, whether or not you
agree to look on it as "censorship through ostracism".

Cheers,
- Michael