Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:52:55PM -0400, Bruce Perens wrote:
>I am not sure we should tell Ian Murdock how to use his and his wife's
>name.  Don't send a request until we have consensus on that.  If we do
>it, it should be VERY polite.

I don't believe that anyone's disputing Ian's use of the Debian mark
here, but rather the context in which it was used.

As far as I recall, the problem with "Trusted Debian" (now Adamantix)
was not the "Debian" part, but the implication that "normal" Debian was
*not* trusted/secure.

Similarly, the name "Debian Core Consortium" to me suggests that this
group has in some way *control* over the Debian core, as opposed to
merely *using* the Debian core.

Ian has subsequently indicated[0] that the name will now be the "DCC
[Debian Common Core] Alliance", which is certainly more palatable.

--bod

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/07/msg00258.html