Re: "Debian" Core Consortium

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Thomas Viehmann (tv@beamnet.de) wrote:
>>Maybe it would be great to come up with something that can be used by
>>everyone interested. I'm thinking along the lines granting a license to
>>use "Debian derived" as part of the name for products / efforts to
>>create products derived from Debian, so that "Debian derived trusted
>>Gnu/Linux" or "Consortium for a Debian derived core" would be covered.
>>OK, now it's time to admit that I'm not a marketing expert and the
>>examples offered do suck, but maybe it's a good idea. After all, we do
>>like derived distros to reference Debian...
> This sounds like something reasonable to do in terms of a trademark
> policy but there's a couple problems with it.  If 'Debian derived'
> actually falls under trademark requirements at all (I'm not sure it
> does) and, if it does, then people still need to ask Debian/SPI for an
> official submark before using it.  Basically, that kind of a policy is
> fine, but doesn't remove the need for Debian/SPI to protect its
> trademarks.
Well, my idea was that it might be nice to have some general license
(similar in spirit but likely not as liberal as free software license)
for a submark to offer something to people deriving Debian and not
create too much burden.
Note that above proposal would not cover t-shirts, travel agencies and
whatnot, so it might be more restrictive, but easier and cheaper than
LMI (and charging 200 Euros/year to nonprofits seems very undesirable).

Kind regards

T.
--
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/