Re: Branden's mail policies

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:44:21AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> I don't quite agree with Branden's page that it is entirely
> the blocker's fault - there's some blame with his ISP, or maybe
> his ISP's relations with abuse.net and friends.

I don't understand how you are inferring an assignment of blame exlusively
to the "blocker" from the language on the page[1].  The terms "blame",
"fault", and "responsibility", for example, nowhere appear in my
explanatory text.

> As some have mentioned, it's not always realistic (or even possible) for
> some small users to change ISPs, although I don't know if that's the case
> here.

I think it's interesting that you raise the point about consumers' lack of
choice when defending them against the accusation (which no one has made)
that they're responsible for rejecting legitimate mails from
dynamically-assigned IP addresses -- while other people in this thread have
raised the same point to defend the practice of *sending* legitimate mails
from dynamically-assigned IP addresses.

Personally, I think both points are valid, at least in many markets, which
suggests to me that Andrew Suffield may be right about the long-term
effects of these policies[2], even if I'm not quite sure that they are, as
he states, deliberately calculated to do so.

> So, I support Branden's general approach, but think it would be
> better to include some more active announcement.

Apart from the page itself, its linkage from my personal and Debian
homepages[3][4], and its mention in my previous DPL report[5], what did you
have in mind?

> I think it's unreasonable to demand post-holders work to accommodate daft
> mailserver configurations.

I am willing to undertake a certain degree of pro-activity to get the
message of the Debian Project out.  I reserve the right to balance factors;
my assessment of the importance of that message vs. the barriers that are
erected to me communicating it.

It's pretty important, for example, to work harmoniously with the press
(Andy Chanelle), and with people who collect money on behalf of the Debian
Project (Marc Schaefer).

[1] "I therefore, as a rule, do not go out of my way to try to contact
    people who have decided (or who have decided by proxy, by leaving it up
    to their ISP) not to accept mail from me."
    http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/~branden/homepage/mailblock.html

[2] Message-ID: <[🔎] 20050619144903.GA23323@suffields.me.uk>
[3] http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/~branden/homepage/apocalypse.html
[4] http://people.debian.org/~branden/
[5] http://people.debian.org/~branden/dpl/reports/2005-05-08.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       "Bother," said Pooh, as he was