Re: Branden's mail policies

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:44:21AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > I don't quite agree with Branden's page that it is entirely
> > the blocker's fault - there's some blame with his ISP, or maybe
> > his ISP's relations with abuse.net and friends.
>
> I don't understand how you are inferring an assignment of blame exlusively
> to the "blocker" from the language on the page[1].  The terms "blame",
> "fault", and "responsibility", for example, nowhere appear in my
> explanatory text.

The words "overaggressive", "unethical and discourteous" are
applied to the blockers. It's close enough to assigning blame.
There weren't such words for your ISP or the blacklist keepers.

> > As some have mentioned, it's not always realistic (or even possible) for
> > some small users to change ISPs, although I don't know if that's the case
> > here.
> I think it's interesting that you raise the point about consumers' lack of
> choice when defending them against the accusation (which no one has made)
> that they're responsible for rejecting legitimate mails from
> dynamically-assigned IP addresses
[...]

I think it's interesting that you describe this as a defence
against that accusation. It was more a note that both sides
may not be able to change their mail routing. Are all emails
battles? Not to me.

> > So, I support Branden's general approach, but think it would be
> > better to include some more active announcement.
> Apart from the page itself, its linkage from my personal and Debian
> homepages[3][4], and its mention in my previous DPL report[5], what did you
> have in mind?

I meant anyone could set up a monitor that emails addresses
appearing on that page for the first time (sending from a
non-blacklisted host!). If nothing else:

#!/bin/bash
# set CACHEFILE, FORMLETTER and ME here
wget -q -O- http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/~branden/homepage/mailblock.html | \
 while read email ; do
   if ! grep -q "$email" $CACHEFILE ; then
     mail -s 'About your reply from Branden Robinson' "$email,$ME" <$FORMLETTER
     echo "$email" >>$CACHEFILE
   fi
 done

--