Re: I'll be a son of a bitch.

Then shouldn't its status be updated to indicate its real status rather than 'root fs drive died, no response from local admin' The accurate story indicates a need for help & hardware, the posted status something else.
Dave

Ean Schuessler wrote:

We already dismantled that machine's power supply to resolder a new fan into it, Mr. Fingerpointer. Are you volunteering to provide a new boot drive? How very awesome!

Just because Lully is hosted here doesn't mean there is local Alpha expertise. There is just free bandwidth and a free rack and free power cycles and free power supply repairs and a local Debian mirror.

Bitching is easy. Get Debian to buy a new drive, have someone with Alpha expertise image it, ship it here and we'll swap it. Do two and configure it for RAID 1 while you are at it.

Thanks!