Re: GFDL freedoms

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:19:59AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Matthew Garrett writes:
> > I believe that for software to be free, it must be possible to distribute
> > it in DRM-encumbered formats, providing an unencumbered version is also
> > available. Do you disagree? If so, why?
>
> Why is it not sufficient for the copyright owner to disclaim DMCA DRM
> protection?

It is always possible to convert a non-free license into a free one by
sufficient modification; often this can be done by attaching a rider
to the license. So yes, this probably would be possible.

The relevant point is that it *hasn't been done* for most of the stuff
released under the GFDL. If your question is "Can the copyright owner
release stuff under a free license instead?" or "Can we provide them
with a free license to use?" then I wonder why you even have to ask.

Going around and getting all the licenses fixed is what we do when we
give up on trying to get the FSF to fix the thing once, centrally.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |