Re: GFDL freedoms

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:23:35AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:19:11AM -0400, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:29 +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > > I remain unconvinced that the freedoms required for documentation are
> > > the same freedoms required for software.  I think the best way to fix
> > > the current situation is to propose the Debian Free Documentation
> > > Guidelines and modify the SC appropriately.  More on this when I have
> > > a first draft.
> >
> > Don't forget to do the Debian Free Images Guidelines, the Debian Free
> > Sounds Guidelines, the Debian Free Music Guidelines, the Debian Free
> [..]
>
> Do you think that mocking someone trying to solve a problem is
> constructive?

I think he raises a valid point. If Documentation requires different
freedoms than "software" then what about all these other different media
formats? Should It be DFSG and Debian Free Media Guidelines, or do images
need separate freedoms from text documents which need separate freedoms
from sounds, etc? And what about works that combine multiple media formats?
Which freedoms do they require? Furthermore, why do they require different
freedoms?

> If you don't agree with their position feel free to shut up.

This defeats the purpose of a discussion.

 - David Nusinow