Re: non-free but distributable packages and kernel firmware

Le Mercredi 6 Avril 2005 13:44, Mark Brown a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:08:21AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > As thus i was wondering if, together with the volatile effort, it
> > would not be time for us to split the non-free archive into two
> > parts, namely :
> >
> >   1) non-free-but-freely-distributable
> >
> >   2) rest of non-free
>
> While that does look like a useful distinction, especially for (as
> you say) people building CDs and the like, there also seems to be a
> reasonable community of people who are willing to accept non-free
> downloads to hardware but still don't want non-free software running
> on the host system.  That would suggest that it would also be worth
> having a separate section specifically for data to be downloaded to
> hardware, or perhaps for non-free data in general since there seems
> to be some crossover with people who wouldn't mind things like
> non-free standards documents either.

  well, those people could use appropriate pinning in apt/preferences to
avoid installation of things they don't want.

  i don't say it's possible atm, but I don't think such possibility
would be hard to implement in apt : pinning on sections. maybe I'm
wrong ?
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O