Re: VA Linux / Sun Wah Linux to push Debian in China/Japan

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 09:59:08PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> [Not private.  Feel free to copy, on or off list.]
>
> > Another barrier is English :-)
>
> Right.  Is this a good barrier or a bad barrier, in your
> view?

I think it is neutral.  (Barrier is just a fact of life.  I do not think
value is inherently associated with it.  In our lives, we work under
many restrictions.  That sounds negative.  At the same time, I do not
think a world in which everyone speak only one language being that
interesting...  We loose diversity. )

> This is not an indirect way for me to make some point;
> it is just a question.  Since you have in fact passed
> the barrier while I have not (English is my native
> language), it would interest me to learn what you
> thought about the barrier.

The fact that Debian being "international" project and English being de
facto linguafranca of "international technical project", English skill
is needed to directly involve with Debian.

But at the same time we have many "local" debian organization where we
have mailing list in each language.  collaboration with those activity
helps Debian.  debian.or.jp and debian.org.tw comes to my mind.

Osamu