Re: Bits from the ftpmasters

> > I don't agree at all.
> >
> > multiple signature has to be used if you have really reviewed the
> > package. And as an XP freak, I guess you should know that
> > cross-reading is really good for code quality. I don't understand
> > why it shouldn't be the same for packages.
>
> Because there's no guarantee (or even real likelihood) that the two
> developers whose signatures appear on the package have sufficient
> Clue to be able to produce quality packages.  Pair programming only
> works when both people are switched on and taking note of their
> surroundings.  The ftpmasters are, in general, senior and clueful
> DDs, with a good knowledge of the likely high and low points of a
> package.

you're right. though, I think there is even young DD (or even
maintainers) that are quite good too ;)

> > And since we quite all agree that managing multiple gpg signatures
> > is not *that* difficult, it may worth trying it, doesn't it ?
>
> Oh, I think it's a great idea, I'm just not convinced that it'll
> suffice for clearing the NEW processing delay.

I didn't tell that it would clear the NEW processing delay. I just
extended Goswin's idea, since I think it's an idea that can improve
mean packages quality a bit. and somehow "reward" people that have
really worked on a package : they won't be a name put near other's name
that have not really worked on the package, but that still are in the
upload team.

e.g. : I'm part of the kde-qt team. and my name lies down next to some
that really do a huge amout of work (like dato and some others). point
is that I really (until now but with my pending DD account creation I
think this will change) did only very little work for packaging, and
that it's not fair to dato and the others to be on the same ground than
me. I know that there is the 'named' changelog entries (I mean in
co-maintaining packages, DD often put their name before the changes
they actually did). but (1) they are not in a standard format (so it's
not an information we can grab automatically), (2) even if it's not
really likely, they can be faked.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O