Re: Two Macedonias

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 10:19:41AM +0300, John Manganas wrote:

> Please Anton help us to reach the truth. Help the international Debian
> community to understand your point.

I hope the following is part of the truth.

There are two or maybe even three versions of "Macedonia".

Let me call the Greek version "Macedonia1".  I don't know the actual
meaning of it and in the past I didn't even realise that Greeks have
different meanning of "Macedonia" that the Slavics.

Let me call the slavic version "Macedonia2".  This is the definition
of Macedonia2: the teritory ocupied by Macedonians.  And when I write
"Macedonians" I mean the main ethnik group in MK, not the people
living in the Greek Macedonia.  For us Macedonia2 is not the same as
"Rep. of Macedonia" because here, in Bulgaria, there is quiet large
teritory, populated with Macedonians.  Hence Macedonia2 includes part
of Bulgaria.  When in Bulgaria someone says "Tomorow I am going to
Macedonia" it is not clear what he means - the Bulgarian part of
Macedonia2 or the MK part.

Before I realised that Macedonia1 is not the same as Macedonia2 I was
surprised to see that Macedonia1 includes some teritories that were
never populated with Macedonians even in the past.

I suppose that there is a third version of Macedonia - the Albanian
version.  Albanians consider themeselves as ethnic successors of the
antient Macedonians.  For example the name of the currency in Albania
is an abreviation of the name of the Alexander the Great.

> P.S. Which part of Bulgaria do you live Anton? Just curious...

No, I am not Macedonian and as far as I know I don't have Macedonian
relatives.  I am living in Sofia.

Anton Zinoviev