Re: Proposal of new "admin" pseudo BTS package

Hello Adam

On 2004-09-24 Adam Heath wrote:
> > I therefore propose to create a pseudo bug packages for "mail" issues
> > (and/or maybe one for general "admin" topics) like the existing
> > "lists.debian.org" or"www.debian.org".
> >
> > This would surely not a way to make them act faster but a way to keep
> > track of open issues and a place where everybody can make a short comment
> > to an issue. Also if everybody could see that there are too much open
> > issues in a special area the one in charge could ask for more or better
> > volunteers.
>
> That's not how it works.  You can't create a new place for those who do work
> to check for things to do.  That'll just increase their load.

The amount of things-to-do would not raise you would just have them
archived and readable for everyone in the BTS (and in the long term, direct
mails to debian-admin would be discouraged in favour of the BTS).
Moreover you won't get 10 complains about mail delays but at most a "me too"
as follow-up in the same bug report which takes away the need to answer
10 people individually (or don't doing so and let them be frustrated)

(I mean you're a long term maintainer, I don't need to explain the benefits
of a BTS to you...)

> ps: Speaking both as a member of the bug team, and as a local debian admin.
So except my apoligies if my initial proposal was not Cc'd to debian-admin
(It was supposed to be), what do you think of it's content? Could unneccessary
threads on debian-private and frustration among maintainers lowerd if the
admins would use a BTS pseudo package where open issues are visible and
archived just as bug reports are, too?

bye,

-christian-