Re: Patent clauses in licenses

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 02:41:03PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2004-09-17 10:05]:
> > The GPL does much the same. If someone distributes GPLed software
> > without complying with section 3 (which gives you various ways in
> > which you have to make source code available to the recipient), then
> > they lose the right to use that GPLed software. We have various
> > licenses that terminate if you do something "wrong" - we've just
> > come to the conclusion that it's acceptable that people not be
> > allowed to do that thing.
> >
> > In the past, we've accepted various compromises on freedom because
> > they help free software.
>
> I agree with this reasoning and think that we should treat at least
> "Any patent action against the licensor connected to the licensed
> work" as free.  I'd like to hear more possible scenarios what "Any
> patent action against the licensor" might mean in reality, such as
> Nathanael's IBM example.  I think such possible scenarios/examples
> are a good way to think about the implications of these clauses.

Here's a scenario for you:

Company A releases a piece of software that includes this clause in
its license.

Company B releases a modified version of this software, that includes
an extra feature.

Company A has no interest or use in the piece of software created by
company B; furthermore it desires to eliminate this version.

Company A sues company B alleging that the extra feature in the
modified version infringes some of its patents. Company A no longer
has a license to the modified version, which it didn't want anyway, so
it is not concerned about this.

Company B cannot make counterclaims from its defensive patent
portfolio, because that would invoke the termination clause and kill
its modified version. Company B has no practical defence against this
lawsuit, so the modified version is killed. They have been effectively
trapped in a double-bind.

I just pulled that one out of the air. There are countless more like
it. All you are accomplishing is to permit copyright holders more
control over their software; this cannot be a good thing. Trying to
game the legal system *doesn't work*.

This is inevitable from first principles; significant arbitrary
restrictions are non-free. You will always be able to find ways to
abuse them to gain arbitrary degrees of control over the software.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |