Re: Patent clauses in licenses

* Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> [2004-09-17 10:05]:
> The GPL does much the same. If someone distributes GPLed software
> without complying with section 3 (which gives you various ways in
> which you have to make source code available to the recipient), then
> they lose the right to use that GPLed software. We have various
> licenses that terminate if you do something "wrong" - we've just
> come to the conclusion that it's acceptable that people not be
> allowed to do that thing.
>
> In the past, we've accepted various compromises on freedom because
> they help free software.

I agree with this reasoning and think that we should treat at least
"Any patent action against the licensor connected to the licensed
work" as free.  I'd like to hear more possible scenarios what "Any
patent action against the licensor" might mean in reality, such as
Nathanael's IBM example.  I think such possible scenarios/examples
are a good way to think about the implications of these clauses.
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com