Re: http://forums.debian.net in beta

   A debianHELP user just posted a note about this thread (I'm not normally a
subscriber of debian-project) and after reading it, I wanted to correct a
couple of points.

   First, the topic of the GFDL license that the debianHELP site uses has been
brought up in the past.  Today I replied to the user that mentioned this
thread at
<http://www.debianhelp.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=viewtopic&topic=6807&forum=26&start=0>.
In that thread I pointed out some of the problems in changing the site's
license and give my own preference/strategy of how I'm going to do it.

   Secondly, Jeroen mentioned:

 > - by means of their footer, they claim that all comments and messages
 >   are GFDL'd.

   debianHELP has been around since 2Q/3Q 2000.  The decision was made at that
time to put all content of the site under the GFDL.  This is explained in the
Site FAQ
<http://www.debianhelp.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1#4>.

 >   The legality of this is doubtful, but the claim is made,
 >   and I'm not very comfortable with it.

   Why would the legality of this be doubtful?

   The above-mentioned FAQ states bluntly in bold print, "If you do not agree
to have your text/work licensed under the GFDL please do not submit anything
to this web site!"

   Each and every time someone posts an article or a forum message or reply,
they are presented with the text, "Important: By submitting this
article/story/text, you agree to have your work/words licensed under the GNU
Free Documentation License (GFDL)."

   If there is a problem with the legality of this, I'd like to know about it.

 >   of the site is due to the postnuke and phpbb projects (the latter
 >   having their own copyright notices being removed from the site).

   The forum I use is a PostNuke module called phpBB_14.  It is a heavily
modified fork of the old phpBB version 1.4 maintained by a team based in
Germany.  It displays no copyright notice that I know of.  Credit for the
forum is displayed on various pages and you can see those credits on
debianHELP (see 2/3 of the way down
<http://www.debianhelp.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index>
for one example).

   I consider allegations of not acknowledging software authors to be fairly
serious.  For the various PostNuke modules I use you can easily reference
them at <http://www.debianhelp.org/index.php?module=Credits>, the standard
"credit" URL for a PostNuke site.  In the future, please do some checking
before making such claims.

--
If computers have made me more productive, how come I'm not working less?
Who's getting the profits from my increased productivity?!