Re: http://forums.debian.net in beta

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:02:54AM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 03:00 +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > Since quite some people like webforums for discussion and support, and
> > also a certain other GNU/Linux distribution has quite succesful
> > webforums, I decided to try providing a webforum for the Debian
> > community too.
>
> How does this relate/compare to existing Debian web forums such as those
> on the debianHELP site? (I don't use web forums myself, but it would be
> good to know where to point any users who ask about them.)

forums.debian.net is unrelated and unaffiliated. There are indeed
multiple webforums out there for Debian, of varying popularity. AFAICS,
the debianHELP one[1] is the most popular, being started about two years
ago and about 35 messages per day on average. There isn't one sort-of
canonical forum though.

forums.debian.net is currently nearly-empty, it is yet to gain momentum.
It is without anything else than its 'core business', webforums. I must
admit that I wasn't aware of the debianHELP one, google for
debian+forum{,s} didn't give it in the first few pages.

Starting forums.debian.net didn't take much more time than an 'apt-get
install phpbb2' takes, I see I failed to properly search for other
initiatives already. debianplaza.net[2] is scratching the same itch[3],
I've yet to decide what to do (I'll mail them).

--Jeroen

[1] http://www.debianhelp.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index
[2] http://forums.debianplaza.net/
[3] http://forums.debianplaza.net/viewtopic.php?t=6