Re: Strawpoll on proper usage of @debian.org email address

* John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> [2004-01-25 15:10]:
> I don't think this really makes sense.  For instance, in the poll, 76%
> of the people opposed use as a general purpose address, but 92%
> supported putting it on one's personal homepage.  I'm really curious
> what those people were thinking, since that seems an outright
> contradiction.

I don't see why this would be a contradiction.  The question was not
about putting the address on a personal homepage but about doing so
_when saying that one is a DD_.  This clearly implies that the address
is only given as a contact address for Debian related matters (and
that there's probably another address which can be used to non-Debian
matters).

> I further caution that it is dangerous to draw conclusions on the
> feelings of the project based on the unauthenticated responses of
> only a small minority of developers.

Sure, it would be nice to hear the opinion of more people, but I
personally thought that 100 was a pretty high number.  I thought less
people would participate.

> If we were to put the rest of the developers in the "don't care"
> category -- which is not a completely unreasonable thing to do,
> given that they did not respond to the survey

Ah, I'm not sure if this is valid.  Please don't forget that -project
is an optional list, etc.

--
Martin Michlmayr
leader@debian.org