Re: Strawpoll on proper usage of @debian.org email address

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 08:13:23PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader wrote:
> * Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> [2004-01-23 10:47]:
> > 3.) Would it suffice to document the (presumable) opinion of the
> > project in the Debian Developer's Reference as 'best practice'?
>
> Documenting this in the Developer's Reference is certainly a good
> idea.  This way, new and old developers would be aware of these issues
> and see what others think.  I think the poll showed fairly clearly
> that you shouldn't use @d.o addresses as a general purpose address.
> Debian's not an ISP, after all.

I don't think this really makes sense.  For instance, in the poll, 76%
of the people opposed use as a general purpose address, but 92%
supported putting it on one's personal homepage.  I'm really curious
what those people were thinking, since that seems an outright
contradiction.

I further caution that it is dangerous to draw conclusions on the
feelings of the project based on the unauthenticated responses of only a
small minority of developers.  If we were to put the rest of the
developers in the "don't care" category -- which is not a completely
unreasonable thing to do, given that they did not respond to the survey
-- the results would be completely different.

Your comment about an ISP seems not at all germane to the discussion.
We are not talking here about people making excessive use of resources
(which is already covered under the DMUP if memory serves).  For
instance, using a debian.org address as a contact on a domain probably
generates, at most, 30K of traffic *per year*.   This is a drop in the
bucket.  Even if we had 1000 domains, that's only 30MB per year.

-- John