Re: Strawpoll on proper usage of @debian.org email address

[posting again to the proper list. Sorry...]

Andrew Suffield wrote:
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 03:10:06PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
(...)
I don't think this really makes sense.  For instance, in the poll, 76%
of the people opposed use as a general purpose address, but 92%
supported putting it on one's personal homepage.  I'm really curious
what those people were thinking, since that seems an outright
contradiction.

I'd interpret it as "I don't think it's a good idea to use it for
everything, but I don't see a real problem with doing it sometimes",
because that way it makes sense.

That is, it's discouraged, but nobody really cares.

I interpret differently: General advertising (like posting on personal
webpage - together with other email addresses, phone numbers and
physical addresses) is fine, but general *usage* is not ok.

I understood the poll as a tool to figure out what would be relevant for
a General Resolution - or a help for our Project Leader to make a
judgement (if it is in his power to judge in this matter).

It seems for a possible GR it should be made clear what is meant by
"putting on one's personal homepage".

 - Jonas