Re: Limiting number of post from a poster per day per list

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 01:23:31AM +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Someone suggested me to post here :-) (I am not subscribed)

If you want to be CC'd on replies, please set your MFT header.

> I am sure some people have concern.  If so, can we start establishing
> publically agreeed guideline for the limit of posting per day, at least?
> I think 5 posts per user per list is a good start.  (I wanted to say 3
> but said 5 to give enough safety margin.)  What do other DDs think about
> this?

I don't know what DD's think, but as a common participant on Debian and
other mailing lists, this is the worst suggestion I've seen for a list
policy in a while.  Limiting post counts doesn't reduce the number of
transactions required to move a conversation forward by a given amount;
it only artificially forces it to take longer, limits the amount any
given person can contribute, and encourages people to merge posts that
shouldn't be merged to reduce their post count, breaking threading and
making conversations even harder to follow.

--
Glenn Maynard