Re: Google ads on debian.org

* Andrew Suffield (asuffield@debian.org) wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 09:33:22PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > It's a thought anyway.  Those involved with SPI have probably had some
> > thoughts along these lines before, I imagine.
>
> You're thinking about founding a corporation. There are plenty of
> those already. It is not necessary to hijack Debian's name and trademarks
> in order to do this.
>
> That corporation cannot and will not be the organisation currently
> referred to as 'Debian'. Nor could it do what Debian does. The absence
> of control is fundamental to our organisational structure.

SPI already exists, and already owns Debian's trademarks.  Sorry if you
don't choose to believe it.  I don't believe that there's an absence of
control and I find it amusing that you seem to think there is.
Regardless, even if there was I don't believe it's fundamental to our
organisational structure (the fact that we *have* an organisational
structure would imply the control you seem to feel doesn't exist).

My feeling is that SPI and Debian should attempt to grow towards being
self-sustaining, at least in terms of hardware and hosting and whatnot.
I'm not saying the existing hardware/hosting should be dropped though,
just that it'd be nice if we could afford to pay for it.

	Stephen