Re: Google ads on debian.org

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:12:19 -0500, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> said:

> * Manoj Srivastava (srivasta@debian.org) wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:27:15 -0500, Stephen Frost
>> <sfrost@snowman.net> said:
>> > Perhaps not, as I said, I thought it'd be an interesting
>> > discussion, not that we should go out and market it as a new
>> > Debian thing to do.  I don't mind valid critiques of why
>> > something isn't workable, I do mind knee-jerk reactions of "I'll
>> > quit if Debian does that."
>>
>> Is someone quitting? Hay, maybe we are getting close to a
>> release. On the other hand, trivializing objections people have to
>> commercialization of Debian does not advance your cause.  I do have
>> objections to Debian starting down this path, and for precisely the
>> same reasons: I think that the influx of money would make it hard
>> to prevent abuse, or the appearance of abuse, and the resulting
>> ill-will would be detrimental to the project.

> The obvious flaw in your argument is that Debian already has an
> influx of money.

	Well, no, it is not, really. /How/ we make the money is
 significant -- (extreme example: working as a programmer for money is
 vastly different from robbing banks). I have mentioned elsewhere that
 donations are different from making money off advertizements.

> It's not anything new to us and it's pretty unlikely to stop.  Your
> arguments about the evils of money are therefore not pertinant to
> the disucssion unless you feel that because it's money *for*
> something as opposted to an outright donation will somehow make the
> money *more* evil and more likely to be abused.  Personally, I don't
> believe that.

	Well, I guess this is where we differ.

	manoj
--
One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other
people. George Carlin