Re: Idea: debian representative @ conferences

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, David N. Welton wrote:
> I had a random thought: why not institute a rule/program that only
> past Debian leaders may speak at conferences (except for debconf)?

What, and dissallow anyone else from Debian from speaking? That's
rather insane, considering that quite a few people from Debian talk at
conferences and there are only so many former DPLs to go around.

> It would make the current leader focus on leading and getting things
> done, rather than representing, yet would assure the person in
> question the possibility to travel the world and speak for the
> project after their tenure.

Meeting and being visible to the community as a whole is part of the
work of being a DPL. Our DPLs can't be as effective in working with
people and getting the support from the community that Debian needs
without pressing flesh and talking to people in the community itself.

Plus, people who are not currently DPLs, while certainly qualified
during their tenure, are often not as involved in the current nitty
gritty as the current DPL.

That being said, the DPL should obviously balance attending
conferences with getting their job done, but they're typically the
person best able to judge that.

Don Armstrong

--
Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves
exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu