Re: handling Mozilla with kid gloves [was: GUADEC report]

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 01:30:36PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I'll do this in the next day or so.

It took me a week to get to this, but I've done it (message attached).
I'll pass along whatever I learn.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      When dogma enters the brain, all
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      intellectual activity ceases.

First of all, my apologies for sending this unsolicited mail.

I'm a developer for the Debian Project[1], and in the course of a recent
discussion, some of us became curious as to what the progress of the
triple-licensing effort was.

I did attempt to research the answer for myself.  I checked the minutes of
the weekly Mozilla staff meetings, and found that on 24 November 2003[2], it
was believed that all necessary permissions had been obtained.

Later, in January, I understand that you said in an email discussion that
the relicensing was well underway, and that the only files you couldn't get
permission to relicense were not important[3].

I've looked for more information, and I did check the Mozilla Relicensing
FAQ[4], but it claims to have not been updated since 7 December, and I
cannot determine the current status of the relicensing.  I also checked the
"copyright" file of Debian's mozilla-browser package, but it is either
outdated, or perhaps that something has held up the relicensing effort:

  Some files in this source package are under the Netscape Public License
  Others, under the Mozilla Public license, and just to confuse you even·
  more, some are dual licensed MPL/GPL.

Given the content of the Relicensing FAQ, I suspect this information is out
of date, so I am CCing the Debian Mozilla package maintainers.

If you could advise me where to look for the answers I seek, I sure would
appreciate it.  I'm sorry to take up your time with this.

[1] http://www.debian.org/
[2] http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=3FCB8B00.5070604%40mozilla.org
[3] http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3FFC952B.2020302%40mozilla.org
[4] http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/relicensing-faq.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The more you do, the more people
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      will dislike what you do.