Re: Possible violation of the Debian trademark

On 2004-04-12 10:51:19 +0100 Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> wrote:

I think you're right. We should not accept that someone use the Term
"Debian" and our logo for promoting his own services, especially as he
didn't provide any value to debian (at least as far as I could see).

They are only using "Debian" to refer to Debian and they do not claim to be Debian themselves, as far as I can see (but maybe I missed it).

It would be nice if there were a few more obvious links, but I'm not sure we can stop them. At least in trademark laws that I know, one can use a trademark accurately and the holder cannot prevent it. A trademark is not a magic power over use of a word. I can use your trademark when writing nasty things about your trademark-named product and trademark law won't stop me. (Of course, if I write lies, other things can stop it.)

Anyway, do you really want to persecute businesses who promote Debian to their customers?

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at