Re: Proposed transition plan for non-free and call for help

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:15:42PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 07:48:20PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > What about recomends and suggests of contrib or non-free packages from
> > debian/main ?
>
> How should it handle it?

Well, i would say that recomends and suggests from packages in the
debian distribution to packages in non-free are allowed, but not
depends, as it currently the case.

This is a problem though, since some see this as debian advertizing
non-free, or thighly tying this new non-free.org to debian, which some
find a hatefull thing.

I believe that apt could be patched to only show recomends and suggest
that are fullfillable with the current apt sources entry, but i don't
feel up to providing such a patch.

Like i explained to markus, i would find the forbiding of suggests and
recomends from main to non-free not a good thing, as illustrated in the
case of non-free documentation, and also in the case of the temporal
moving of a part of main which was found to be badly licenced to
non-free, while a free alternative is being worked on.

> > How will this separate setup handle this ?
> > What about conflicts ?
>
> What do you propose?

Only a problem if the above is going to be forbidden.

I still think this is a great loss of time, but hey, if you feel like
it, all the more power to you :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther