Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

Hi, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 02:39:17PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>> With our underlying culture, I'm not sure if any attempts to change us will
>> truly ever succeed in making us the caring, sharing, non-confrontational
>> group that will make every person happy to work with us.

> I certainly won't tolerate it. It's fundamentally incompatible with
> getting any useful work done.

There's a rather large difference between saying "your code has serious
problems, fix it and come back", and saying "you're a stupid git who can't
code, go away". Including the stereotype most (in)appropriate for the
person in question is even worse.

> People cannot usefully participate in a debate unless they grow a
> skin, or while they are emotionally attached to an argument.

True, assuming ...

> Providing
> crutches for them will only make things worse.

... that it's an argument about the quality of the code and not about the
inherent inability of the author to write better code, have better ideas,
etc.

Quite a lot of people don't see any particular distinction betwen the two.
Your argument seems to show that you don't either.

That's part of the problem.

--
Matthias Urlichs