Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 07:58:03PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
>
> True, but then what would you suggest as an alternative means of
> gathering data? Should we stick the users in a set of test tubes,
> complete with positive and negative controls? I'd rather take what
> information is out there (including my own observations, and observation
> is the most critical aspect of data gathering) and use it.

I agree that Debian has a problem in this area and that it's worth
worrying about and trying to fix.  I do not think that Helen has given
us any information about it; she is guessing at what men usually do,
and imputing that to us, and guessing about how women feel.  Not even
an anecdote.

If we want to solve the problem, we may need to look beyond
stereotypes and guesswork.