Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On 2004-03-09 22:48:49 +0000 Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 01:10:28PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
Certainly, the kind of harrassment documented here:
http://www.p12n.org/misc/sexism/
is not something that I would consider acceptable

I am glad you posted those logs.  Now I see I was right, this whole
thing is blown way out of proportion.

Finally read these. Actually, there's very little there. I expect there's more, for a channel the size of #debian.

exhibit_a - Looks like sarcasm to me, given the HOWTO link paste early on. Hard to tell from a log. It wouldn't seem as sexist without the editorialising in the log IMO.

exhibit_b - Hard to tell about this, as they're all fairly short snips. Lots of apparent sexism, including by helix, which I hope only looks like that because of the editing.

exhibit_c - Yep, rehm is wrong, although not as soon as some think (I've seen straight men make comments about sleeping with men on IRC), but wtf does it turn into a trolling match at one point? If he's so damn offensive, why invite him to continue? niwton also seems sexist.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ slef@jabber.at