Re: EWL HOWTO unsuitable counterarguments, was: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 16:51:28 +0000, MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> said:

> On 2004-03-04 16:04:15 +0000 Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
> wrote:

>> You should read the following chapter, that addresses particularly
>> your brand of protest:
>> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/x28.html#AEN41
>> Such a wash of illogic from someone normally ground in logic smacks
>> of denial.

> Play fair! You should not criticise the PP for basing his argument
> on one anecdote and then give a reference about one anecdote as a
> counter-argument. I'm surprised they've not fixed that to
> cross-reference the more substantial parts of the document.

	Can't you read? That URL points to a number of dicumented
 incidents -- not a single personal life anecdote from a man saying he
 was uaware of how things affected women. When you compile case
 studies, they can tend to grow into data -- though there are not
 enough out there at the end of that URL, they are a starting point;
 and at least two women have been quoted as saying that overt sexism
 targeted at women is rampant in Debian. Listen to them, unless, of
 course, you want to exercise the ostrich defence.

> Some parts of that HOWTO are good. Other parts are ridiculous, or as

	Just the same old empty frothing at the mouth. Which parts
 exactly do you agree with? Which parts are ridiculous? Why are they
 ridiculous? What is, in your opinion, the correct description of
 expereinces women face? Why are you, a man, more likely to know what
 experiences women face than the women themselves?

	So far, all you have offered is opinion, and no data to
 evaluate the worth of that opinion, or to back the opinion up.

	manoj
--
A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are
the portals of discovery. James Joyce, "Ulysses"