general intrest

I am interested in replacing a very frustrating Windows ME system.
All the info I find states that Linux can do any thing and even more than MS.
My most major concern is, will it work with current files I already have accumulated?
Such as music,pictures,photos, word documents i have created, other programs i have purchased, such as Click Art,Create a Card,etc...
None of these purchased products have any load options for any thing other than Windows
or Mac,how will these items load into Linux?
Another concern, is it compatible with America On Line? or other IP's?
I am very interested in Linux, but need assurance that my computer won't have an identity crisis with out Windows.