Re: Debian as a social group and how to develop it better

On Monday 2002 December 02 10:05, Peter Palfrader wrote:

> > > Because the distribution uses different libraries and stuff.
> >
> > That's what I am complaining about.  Stop using different libraries.
>
> How do you suggest to get over a hundret different linux distributions
> to always run the same version of each library?

Again, use the same unchanged binaries, and you will have to use the same
libraries.  NO ONE BUT THE MAINTAINERS SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE
BINARIES.  The source code could still be available to everyone, but the
maintainer would be responsible for implementation of new features.  I geuss
if you have to change something, and you're not the maintainer, you should be
allowed only to provide modules which are added on to the binaries.  Then,
only the writer of the 'module(s)' would be the maintainer of that 'module'.
This way, everyone will know that EVERY package will ALWAYS perform as
expected on EVERY platform using it.  If all packages were handled in the
same way as security upgrades, compatability and security would stop being an
issue.