Re: Disputes between developers - content, draft #4

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:42:46AM -0600, Colin Watson wrote:
> Ian has been keen on getting feedback from the bug tracking system
> administrators, and has asked a couple of times now. So far I haven't
> tried to respond with that hat on because:
>
>   * there doesn't seem to be anywhere near to the consensus among the
>     members of owner@bugs that would be needed to put our "stamp" on a
>     document;
>
>   * I'm much happier dealing with the technical issues behind the BTS
>     than getting into discussions of bug system etiquette, since at
>     least the CVS server doesn't flame you unto the seventh generation
>     if it disagrees with you;
>
>   * I think it's appropriate for owner@bugs to give advice on how new
>     features are expected to be used by means of the BTS documentation,
>     but ultimately the project as a whole ought to be deciding how to
>     conduct itself when it comes to dispute resolution.

This is pretty much the concensus among owner@bugs -- we refuse to be drawn
into these non-technical discussions as if we are the people who "own" the
BTS and everything in it. The current set of owner@bugs has not interfered
with non-technical issues relating to the BTS other than to remove spam,
except for one single occasion where Anthony stopped one real person from
using the control interface to the BTS.

Of course, saying this once again probably won't stop Ian from Cc:ing us
next time anyhow. How do we resolve that dispute, I wonder... :)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.