Re: Is work on Debian community service?

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 12:24:01AM -0400, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm in my last year of high school, and at my school it is required
> to complete 50 hours of Community Service in one's final 3 years.
>
> Do you think work for the Debian project should be considered
> Community Service? How about work only indirectly for Debian (i.e.
> work on upstream projects)? How about work on other free software
> projects?
>
> Of course, they don't trust me to record my own hours. If Debian is in
> fact considered "Community Service," who should I ask to verify my
> claim of XX hours? What constitutes time working for Debian?
>
> I'd really like to hear the opinions of other developers and members
> of the Debian community.
>
> Regardless of the outcome of this discussion, I'm certain I'll be able
> to get the required 50 hours, and I'm sure it will have no effect on
> my continued work for Debian.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Duncan Findlay

In my opinion, collaborating in the Debian project could be considered
community service. If your "service" is done in terms of software (a
debian package?), there's no problem at all to find someone that can
assess how long certain things take. If you show us the task you have
done, getting a (gpg?) signature wont be a problem.

However, I think for your school, a Linux-Install-Party (or some other
such event, whatever it is called) would be easier, since the assessment
can be done more readily, even by a lay person ("Yeah, the dude psent
two days telling people how to install a workstation")

yours

Robert Ribnitz