Re: admins: please clarify /etc/motd on auric

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 09:13:34AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > 	Please do not run personal cronjobs on auric between 14:30 and 17:30
> >
> > I assume this means local time for auric, but it might be nice to add
> > the timezone identifier.
>
> Oh come on!  If you ask somebody on the street for the current time,
> do you expect him to answer with a note that it's Hong Kong time instead
> of local time?  What other time than local would make sense when not
> stated differently?

You expect me to know where all of our machines are hosted?  I'm the SPI
Treasurer and I don't know that.  Maybe Mako Hill knows.

Plus, not all developers will recognize all of the timezone
abbreviations, or be able to map them to offsets from their own local
time.  I know about CEST and AEST, but off the top of my head I don't
know what they mean in terms of offsets from UTC.

Also see Mark Brown's response.  Our developers ssh in from all over the
world, and often know Debian hosts only by their names, not by the
address of their colocation facility.

I don't care what it says as long as clear and unambiguous, which it
currently isn't (or wasn't when I last logged in).  Come on, man, throw
us a bone.  Say "between 14:30 and 17:30 UTC-0400" or whatever.

If I'd had rights to write to /etc/motd I'd have fixed it myself and not
pestered anyone.

Yeesh, bite my head off for making an extremely gentle ("it might be
nice") little suggestion, and you wonder why people grumble about a
"cabal" (TINC)?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Good judgement comes from
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     experience; experience comes from