Re: "Bug of the month", or how to get people fixing bugs

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 12:29:22AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> Interesting idea.  I'd be interested in a list of the negative aspects
> of this, that you came up w/.  My personal feeling is against it, as it
> changes the focus people have; the goal people have changes from
> fixing bugs, to simply closing them in the BTS.  Sometimes, it's good to
> keep bugs open in the BTS (tagged w/ wontfix, documenting a problem that
> other people may bring up; or tagged w/ unreproducable, as another
> person may stumble across the bug, and find the original bug report
> useful in finding a way to reproduce; or w/ a severity of wishlist, that
> perhaps the current maintainer may not want to deal w/, but the next
> maintainer may; etc).  Closing bugs does not necessarily mean fixing them.

I would say that wishlist and wontfix ought to be discarded when it
comes to selecting bugs to be examined. Also, I'd say that there ought
to be more than one way to score your point beyond just closing the bug.
They probably ought to be verified by a human referee to make sure the
result hasn't been harmful.