apt question

I'm not sure if I'm asking in the right place, but it's hard enough to get support for debian as it is, so thank you for helping...

I've installed potato from old cd archives I have, now that's all fine and dandy... problem is when I change the apt source lists from the cds to any of the current sources (http, ftp), and try to install any of the new apps available, apt tries to remove many apps I already have installed (ie: x-windows, many c libraries etc). not only that but it also thinks that it needs to install a few hundred extra packages as well.

any help would be appriciated as I'd like to install things like gaim and mozilla without having to download large sources files and compiling them. I like debian's method of using a package manager.

thanks in advance
James