Looking to debian as main Linux distro

Hi, I've been using linux for like a year now, I've
found that the distribution that I've been using most
of the time has everything I need but it's only
problem is that X constantly crashes, so now Im
looking to debian for a change, I went to the ftp site
and got confused on which folders to download, I have
a pentium based pc so I went to the binary-i386 folder
if I remember correctly, could you please tell me
which folder do I need to download to have what I
need, in a linux distribution I need the basic linux
tools, internet and networking tools, the c++ compiler
and X-Windows. Please help