Re: Install

On 07-Jun-02, 00:05 (CDT), Donovan Colbert <donovan@thecolberthouse.com> wrote:
> Finally, a google search turned up...
>
> http://www.zorka.com/index.php/howtos/view/4
>
> Possibly the best hand-holding HowTo I've come across on the net.

That is good. We should probably link to it from our site (with
permission, of course.)

> I'm still not convinced that Linux presents a significant challenge to
> the Windows empire in general. The fact is, I could have installed and
> configured a pool of Windows based desktops in the time it took me to
> complete a single Linux desktop...

How many Linux installs have you done, vs. MS Windows installs? I tend
to find the (debian) linux ones faster, myself. (Considering my time,
not necessarily time to download optional packages, etc.)

I think you have good points about the install process for the
non-debian-expert, and tools like PGI from Progeny may the way to
go long term. It's just a matter of people being interested in that
"market" taking the time to solve the problem. OTOH, I seem to be able
to install Debian on pretty much any combination of hardware, while
RedHat's "smart" installer works great when it works, but when it blows
up, it's pretty much hopeless. I had to sacrifice flexibility and
usefulness in an attempt to gain market share.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland

    world.       -- seen on the net