Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

On 09-May-02, 13:02 (CDT), Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> RFCs have a different goal to -policy. RFCs specify things that get
> implemented by different groups and have to be interoperable. -policy
> doesn't.

Debian packages get built by several hundred different people and have
to make consistent choices about many different things. Where are those
choices to be found if not -policy? Why is the use of consistent terms
like "MUST" and "SHOULD" about the relative significance of consistency
of those choices a bad idea?.

The rest of your note seems to be sayin that there are classes of things
that should not be covered by -policy. I'm with you there. But you seem
to mixing the two issues, as if the use of RFC terminology implies an
attempt to take over dpkg development.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland