Re: LINUX Install

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 06:32, Dusty Mows wrote:
> I do not consider myself to be computer illiterate - but I am MS-DOS trained
> and bred from v2.0 onward and including the Shells of Win 3.x, 95, 98.x, ME
> - but your distribution of LINUX requires a learning curve beyond
> comprehension.  I understand LINUX is a derivative of UNIX and kernels and
> the like are within the UNIX world - but is there no package that just
> simply requires me to type *.exe at a DOS prompt?  I have no desire to be a
> programmer or developer even within the MS-DOS world, I just want to install
> a system easily that includes a Browser - NNTP client like XNEWS - and a
> general nice looking GUI.  Can I find one somewhere in the LINUX world?

Linux _replaces_ DOS/Windows.  Consider the cumulative effort you have
made over the years to learn DOS/Windows.  A similar effort is required
to become familiar with Unix; you cannot transfer DOS/Windows habits and
knowledge to Unix without making any effort to learn the new system.
Since you are not being spoon-fed by the Microsoft/Intel/manufacturers
you have to do rather more for yourself.

Installation of Debian is not particularly difficult, though it can take
quite a long time - partly because it contains far more than a Windows
installation does.  You may, if you are unlucky, need to find out
specific information about your hardware, stuff that is handled for you
in Windows by the peripheral manufacturers, who supply Windows
installation disks for their products but do not provide the information
needed by Linux installers.

Find the appropriate installation instructions under
http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/ and follow them; it really isn't
particularly difficult.

For documentation, look under http://www.debian.org/doc/

     "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly
      Father will also forgive you; But if ye forgive not
      men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive
      your trespasses."         Matthew 6:14,15