Re: Debian Organization

On Mon, 04 Feb 2002, David N. Welton wrote:
> Maybe we should change from a 'push' to a 'pull' architecture.  In
> other words, when you start contributing a lot to Debian, and get
> noticed, then someone in Debian proposes you as a new maintainer.

I won't bother to discuss the technical merits of this suggestion -- it is
not the issue which will cause trouble. It matters not wether it is
technically sound an advice or not.

The problem is that by doing something like you purposed us to, we will
present a face of being a closed group: onr 1open to new people by
invitation only. This is going to cause no end of headaches, a lot of
protest from all fronts, and many developers might leave the project over
this issue.

If you have no idea about what I am talking about, I suggest you to learn a
bit more about the inner workings of the Debian project as a social
structure.

*Please* let this foolish idea die right here, right now, before it causes
more trouble.

  Henrique Holschuh