Re: Debian Organization

Glenn McGrath <bug1@optushome.com.au> writes:

> Being a debian developer means your making a commitment to improving
> debian in the long term. Sending in one bugfix does help debian, but
> we shouldnt necessarily expect assisntance from this person in the
> future.

> Many people tell potential developers "you dont need to be one of us
> to contribute".. in my mind "contributing makes you one of us".

Maybe we should change from a 'push' to a 'pull' architecture.  In
other words, when you start contributing a lot to Debian, and get
noticed, then someone in Debian proposes you as a new maintainer.
This might have the potential to eliminate a lot of the beaurocratic
bullshit that goes on right now, in that we wouldn't have to worry
about running people through all kinds of crap.  When we find a good
one, we invite them on board.

This might also have the potential to eliminate a certain category of
whining...

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/