Re: Random BTS musings

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 12:58:13AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > It also seems to be impossible to do reporting based on tags, though that is
> > > arguably a fault in the reporting tools.
> > Well, the source is available. Easiest way to do reporting based on
> > tags is to grep through /var/lib/debbugs/spool/index.db on master. It's
> > available via http via http://bugs.debian.org/~ajt/index.db atm.
> Where is the source to bugscan, or whatever the tool is called which generates
> the bugscan reports?  Is that the same tool which generates the RC bug web
> pages?

I'm not sure what you mean by bugscan reports as opposed to RC bug
web pages.  The RC bug pages are generated by scripts in ~wakkerma/
on master. There are other scripts elsewhere, including in ~ajt/.

> My issue with tags is that they don't reflect the logical structure of the
> information that they are supposed to represent, and data presentation and
> accessibility suffer.  The concept of "tag" is different from "severity" is
> different from "status".  Why not use tags for severities, too?

Because implementing in the way that it is implemented was
convenient. Severities happen to be mutually exclusive, [patch, pending,
wontfix, help, moreinfo, ...] by and large aren't. There's nothing
fundamental here, it's just an implementation decision. It's vastly
difficult to change, but only in the same way that it would've been
vastly difficult to implement it any other way.

If you don't like the presentation, suggest a better one.

> > > qa.debian.org already has a system for tracking higher-level tasks and who is
> > > responsible for them, but it isn't integrated with the BTS.
> > ?
> I'm talking about the program at control@qa.debian.org.
> http://qa.debian.org/bot-quickref.html

Is that all there is, or is there some way of actually getting a list
of current tasks and such too, or is it a write-only system? Is that
actually being used? (At least during the bugsquash parties, I've mostly
seen the /topic of #debian-bugs being used for coordination)

Cheers,
aj