Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 07:29:30PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> I want to suggest to change the way NM works.
>
> Currently, someone applies at [1] and if he's lucky he has his account
> less than 2 months after he applied.

what real benefit is there in erecting even more barriers-to-entry for
prospective debian developers?

we've gone down this path before and it resulted in everyone being
pissed off for a year or so because no new maintainers were being
accepted, and then finally we came up with the present NM procedures.
they're far from perfect (overly bureacratic, IMO) but they basically
work.

now, less than a year after NM was re-opened there are proposals which
will effectively close it down again.

why? what actual good will that do?

adding even more barriers just makes one of debian's major benefits a
ridiculous mockery: "if you don't like the way something works, you can
join the project and fix it".

that may (or may not) currently be one of our touted benefits, but it
has always been one of debian's strengths - the fact that the debian
project itself is truly "open source".

> --
> A "No" uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a
> "Yes" merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble.
>                 -- Mahatma Ghandi

what an appropriate .signature.  i'll have to say No to this proposal.

craig

--
craig sanders