Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
> On 17 Dec 2000, Chuan-kai Lin wrote:
>> without being a maintainer" and everything comes to a halt.  The
>> goals I stated for joining Debian includes: work on the Chinese
>> translation of w.d.o and help with QA work for Chinese-specific
>> packages.  Okay, enough for background information...

> I haven't seen you doing any QA work until now. Did I miss something (I
> can't remember having heard anything from you at the debian-qa mailing
> list) or what are the reasons why you didn't start working on what you
> want to do if this is one of the main goals of your Debian work?

Actually I have, the most recent one being the bug fixes for the wdm
package, back when Daniel Patterson was still the maintainer of the
wdm.  I prepared a new package for him which fixed 9 bugs; some of them
fairly trivial, and some involves code/script hacks (like #61244 or
#67166).  The package even once got on to master.d.o, then the current
maintainer took over and I washed my hands from it.  Some of the older
ones include the security fix (buffer overflow) to cce, but that was
quite some time ago.

You are correct about me not being on -qa, though.  I have browsed
through the -qa web archives some time ago, and my impression was that
their main focus were in orphaned packages.  Most of my concerns with
Debian's quality do not lie in these packages -- those with MIA
maintainers are used by far more people, but in much worse shape.
Classifying and coming up with fixes for these bugs would be a waste
of time -- I do not believe any developers would need my help in fixing
bugs like #65990, which is a quite serious bug filed 6 months ago.
If we could fix dozens of RC bugs in frozen in one bug squashing party,
that means much, much more can be done at peace time in unstable.  I
cannot see anyone doing that, within or out of the QA team.

Of course this seems to be a little bit off topic here, perhaps further
discussions should be made on -qa instead...

-- Chuan-kai Lin