Re: RFC: Changing the NM system

 Andreas> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
 >> I am not sure that you understand what the project is. The
 >> project is not a company, with a mandated party line; the project is
 >> comprised of a multitudfe of people, all with varying agenda's and
 >> view points (though there is a large overlap).
 >>
 >> If Debian is a sum of its members, then it the view points of
 >> Debian are also a sum of the views of its members; and one would be
 >> doing our users a disservice by artificially suppressing reality.

 Andreas> Then why does Adrian Bunk seem to think that some Debian developers
 Andreas> aren't able to represent Debian?

	Who knows? (well, Adrian Bunk may know). How is it relevant?
 Is Adrian Bunk the authority of the day on what Debian really is?

 >> > Here's an example from a recent thread in debian-devel called "Woody
 >> > Progress": [...]
 >> > Manoj Srivastava> "[...] I, personally, work for Debian so that I
 >> > can have a high quality Linux distribution.  Having it useful to
 >> > other people, espescially people I like, is a neat secondary
 >> > thing.  Am I beholden to the unwashed masses out there?  No way."
 >> >
 >> > I don't think that public statements like these help Debian.

 >> Really? I think they do, since they elucidate the motivation
 >> of at least one developer, and disabuse some of the users out there
 >> about the demands that they can make; the customer is only always
 >> right when they are paying customers.

 Andreas> You're telling me that a maintainer has few responsibilities but I
 Andreas> disagree.

	Huh? Where on earth did you get that? I guess english may not
 be your primaty language (it is not my mother tongue either), but
 this logical disconnect is, umm, amazing.

 Andreas> I think that maintainers always ought to listen to their
 Andreas> users' suggestions.

	You are welcome to your opinion, of course. I am very open to
 technical complaints on my packages, but less receptive to
 demands. And my motivation is again quite selfish: I lesten to user
 complaints cause they may lead me to improve my package, which
 benefits me.

 Andreas> For example, one thing that really bothers me is the
 Andreas> ignorance of many developers when it comes to localization
 Andreas> and internationalization.

	One can't be an expert in everything.

 Andreas> Debian is an international project and before someone
 Andreas> decides to maintain a package he or she ought to consider
 Andreas> that.  Quite often it happens (not only in Debian) that a
 Andreas> maintainer postpones l10n and i18n bug reports and patches
 Andreas> or even ignores them since he considers them as not
 Andreas> important.  But a maintainer can't decide that; he may be
 Andreas> able to work with the program, but on my systems the program
 Andreas> could be unusable.

	Umm, I guess everyone would agree that this hypothetical case
 (hypothetical, since no details are provided) ought to be considered
 a problem.

 >> > In fact, these statements don't comply with Debian's Social
 >> > Contract which clearly says that "Our Priorities are Our Users and
 >> > Free Software.  We will be guided by the needs of our users and
 >> > the free-software community.  We will place their interests first
 >> > in our priorities."

 >> You are confusing the guiding principle of the project itself
 >> with the motivations of individual developers.If you do not
 >> understand the distinction, I don't think you understand well enough
 >> how we work.

 Andreas> How could the whole project comply with the Social Contract
 Andreas> if none of the individual developers honored the users'
 Andreas> needs?

	*Sigh*. Please look up the word ``motivation'' in your nearest
 dictinary. There is only a loose corelation in the guiding principle
 of the project (or any product, really) and the motivation of the
 people working on it.

	manoj
--
 In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
 the proper order then why can't he?