Re: Web site his future

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 08:17:02AM +1100, Craig Small wrote:

> While the current website is good, I always believe there is always room
> for improvement.  A separate specific project would be good, which could
> then be rolled into the current site.  That way the maintenance of the
> website is not distirbed but it gets improved.
>
> Stuff similar to what Will Trillich (sp?) emailed is what we need.  you
> may not agree with everything he said, but ceratinly the queries should
> of least been asked. IIRC, his main concern was what usefulness is the
> website for a newbie.
>
> The main problem is you get this case of "great idea, but now what". I'd
> say have a small group that has a few test pages, perhaps a site re-org
> or suggestions for missing pages. Once it is generally agreed that yes
> this is what we want to do it gets implemented.  This small group can
> then ponder the next stlyistic thing that needs looking at.
>
> I think the dual model would work, of course people may sit in both
> camps and that's fine too.

It has been over two years since the last web page reorganization. For
an organization that is changing and growing as much as Debian, that is
a long time.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2000 Bas Zoetekouw <bas@A-Es2.uu.nl> wrote:
> I think this would be a good idea. I've been thinking lately about the
> structure of the site, and it seems to me that it is somewhat
> inconsistent. For example, information on ther NM process can be found
> at http://www.debian.org/devel/join as weel as at http://nm.debian.org.
> I think this kind of things could more easily be fixed when thinking
> about the thing from scratch.

With two years of additons to the web site, the old design is showing
some strain. Most of the pages are fine. The biggest changes needed
are on the main page, with some other pages, like the developers'
corner, needing to be reorganized some too.

I see the Debian pages as having two important classes of viewers:
new or potential users and developers. The Developers' Corner does
a pretty good job of meeting the needs of developers, with the
possible exception that the page is getting too cluttered.

If we redesign the main page, we need to make sure that newbies
can easily find the information that they want. There is a tendency
over time to add more and more links to top level pages. We thus
need to give some thought into organizing the links so only the
most important ones are on the main page, and making it obvious
which sub-page to find a 'less important' link on.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org