Re: Constitutional, Parliamentary Issues (was Re: CFV: Non-freearchive removal)

Hi,

        Hmm. When we were talking about the consitution, I definitely
 did not envisage we would be having this kind of an acrimonius debate
 on interpretations of the document.

 	Indeed, now that it appears to be a matter of interpretation,
 with two wildly different interpretations, I would not be averse to
 clarifying the language in the constitution about _changing_ non
 technical documents; indeed, I would be in favout of specifyihng the
 DFSG and the Social contract as special case documents in the
 constitution itself.

 	We could add in the better than a simple majority clause for
 modifying the DFSG and social contract in at the same time; which
 would perhaps address the concerns of a number of people.

	Please consider this a trial baloon for that idea; if it seems
 like a good idea, perhaps we can get a constitutional amendment in
 that addresses the constitutionality of changing these documents (and
 allay the fears that some have about frivolous, or hasty, changes to
 core documents for the project).

	manoj

 Craig> On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 07:52:57PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
 >> On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 01:49:00PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
 ajt> > > It has not only been asserted, but proven through the quote
 ajt> > > of DC 4.1.5.

 Craig> > that is your assertion.  it also has not been proved.

 ajt> And conversely your assertion that Debian can't modify existing
 ajt> documents hasn't been proved. Since this is a matter of
 ajt> interpretation,

 Craig> no, not actually.  it's not a matter of interpretation.

 ajt> I hope we'll all accept the secretary's interpretation when he makes
 ajt> it known?

 Craig> even the secretary does not have the power to override the constitution.
 Craig> in fact, as an office bearer under the constitution he has an even
 Craig> greater obligation to abide by the constitution than ordinary members.

--
 "Don't discount flying pigs before you have good air defense."
 jvh@clinet.FI